Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading through my owners manual. Am I correct in thinking my 8 speed is maintenance free? I don't see and maintenance intervals for it and can't find a dip stick.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just had to double check but yes the zf8 is a sealed transmission. No service for normal driving. If you drive it very hard you CAN have it flushed by a dealer after some years but it is a more complicated process. Most new transmissions are sealed fyi.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Depending on how long you plan on keeping it, you might not have to worry at all since what ever problems could come up could be well beyond the time frame which you eventually own it for.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think it might be a case of just having to drop the oil pan which might have the filter in it during times when the filter has to be changed, not sure.

·
Registered
181 Posts
More than you ever wanted to know im sure,

8 speed transmission fluid replacement........ - Dodge Charger Forums

845RE / 8R70: ZF 8-Speed Automatic Transmission for Chrysler cars

the filter and pan are one part that is a throw away and replace. then refill. They call it lifetime maintenance free, but no one ever defines lifetime, I know people who have not changed theirs in their cars for nearly that long without issue. BMW says its 100,000 miles, no one really knows what Chrysler says it is. but between 60-100k is a good plan depending on how hard you are on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts