Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Rebel owner here and I have a simple question. My previous 2012 Ram 1500, had a few different modes for 4x4. There was a lock, low and Auto. Per the manual, when it would snow outside, I had to select 4 Wheel Auto and drive the streets in that mode. In my Rebel, I see only two buttons. One is for 4 Wheel Lock, and the other is 4 Wheel Low. When it snows, what is the correct setting to be in? I remember I used 4 lock in my old truck and it would jerk and shake, which made sense, sense it was for sand and deep snow, at lower speeds I assume. Am I missing something here? I just don't want t to mess up the transmission, and make sure I use the proper gear/mode.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The auto 4wd mode will enable power to front/rear axle when slipping is felt by the system. The Rebel only comes with 2hi/4hi/4lo as 4wd auto is more designed for a less capable off road vehicle. You'll want to be careful operating 4hi while driving around as hitting dry spots on the pavement while other wheels are on snow can cause added wear and tear. 4lo is for if you needed added torque or get stuck or burried in snow/mud/sand ect.

I know people who don't really care too much and they keep their truck in 4wd all the time while there is snow on the ground but I would tell you to be cautious in doing so. I find myself switching it back and forth based on the conditions ahead. Where I live the main roads are always plowed well while the side roads are usually left un touched for quite some time. I will only drive in 4wd when I need it on the main roads and will usually travel in 2wd while once I hit the side roads I'll kick it in 4wd and keep it there.

If your truck is jerking side to side or you can feel it binding in 4wd, that means you probably shouldn't be in 4wd. That jerking feeling is the strain on the drive components.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just 4 hi will be fine unless you really bury it. A Rebel transfer case does not have the auto feature I think because it is a heavier duty transfer case than the auto case. I think. Which reminds me I have to look up I in the manual to find out max speed in 4 hi.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just 4 hi will be fine unless you really bury it. A Rebel transfer case does not have the auto feature I think because it is a heavier duty transfer case than the auto case. I think. Which reminds me I have to look up I in the manual to find out max speed in 4 hi.
You generally don't want to be going over 55 in 4hi.....it isn't a full time transfer case.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. My truck does not have a 4HI, it only has two buttons on the right, the one on top says 4WD LOCK, and the other says 4WD LOW. My roads get plowed fairly quickly as well, so I rarely use the 4WD, even in winter. But lets say I get caught driving home from work and the snow started and there are a couple of inches of snow on the ground. Everyone is driving 15-35 mph on the highway, what is the best gear to be in, 4WD LOCK or LOW? As I hit dry, or cleared roads, I would obviously switch back to 2WD. The truck has too much torque in the rear to be able to safely drive in a couple of inches of fresh snow.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just wanted to be 100%, thank you for that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts