Ram Rebel Forum banner

35W HID's in the Rebel

25513 Views 45 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  3066
Hey guys,

Excuse my ignorance, I did a quick search here with no real results.

Am I correct in saying that I will require a canbus compatible HID kit for the Rebel? I'm looking to go 6K HID in the lowbeams.

Is it going to be a kit where it is wired to the battery with a relay and etc? Or do the canbus kits have a magic box that "just figure it out".

Thanks in advance!

Craig
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Yes I've seen that before. I've heard these headlights are real prone to water. Moisture, etc.

Any modification to the back door and they are not covering warranty claims...
Yes I've seen that before. I've heard these headlights are real prone to water. Moisture, etc.

Any modification to the back door and they are not covering warranty claims...
Yea that is my biggest worry! can't find replacement Rebel headlights yet. The regular black sport ones have the "ugly" chrome projector shroud.
Here is a link to some 35W or 50W HID's that will work with no issues for the changed 2015 models.

http://www.enlightauto.com/collecti...oducts/2015-dodge-ram-xenon-hid-headlight-kit
confirming that the retrofitsource kit works 100%. i forgot to plug in my passenger side plug inside the headlight, so it was showing light out. had to connect oem bulb to reset code then plugged resistors back and worked 100%
no turning off etc, and super bright.
Only thing i dislike is that one of the 2 OEM headlights has the bulb locking into a weird position where the bulb didnt have the grounding wire pointed down.
no moisture problems. Installed 2 weeks ago.
Great info guys. I have heard from a buddy of mine who does not have a rebel, but does have the same headlights in his 2015 Ram 1500 as my 2016 Rebel. He did the high and lows from enlight about 6 months ago and has had zero problems with them. Hardest part was drilling the covers, but has NO moisture issues at all. I think I'm going to go that route, but will purchase the pre drilled covers in the link from the other company mentioned in this post. If I would get moisture or have any issues, I figure I'll swap them back out and have them cover it under warranty. I'll keep you updated, but just want to say again that I have heard good things about Enlight. Anybody else heard anything about them? Only downside i see is cost, but with an almost $60,000 truck, I figure you get what you pay for. It's only money, right?
Finally got my hid conversion done no problems so far. Right is 35w 6000k left is OEM

Attachments

See less See more
Is this a pic of where you had to drill for the HID install? If so, couldn't you just get some clear silicone and smother it all over that area to ensure no moister or water can get in?
They changed the bulbs from 2015 to 2016.. make sure you get the right ones for your truck.. that being said, 9012 and 9015's are pretty close..

To fight any sort of moisture problem, I have ordered some 10gm Cotton Silica Gell packets.. plan to put on in each headlight. Also got some permatex black silicon adhesive sealant to make absolutley certain that there is no chance of moisture making it past the rubber grommet.. If there is an issue with the headlight, I hopefully can find a stock back..

'brightsourcehid' seems to have pre-drilled dist covers.. but they are listed as 2013+ but I am concerned that there may have been changes in 2015-2016 that makes them not fit..

Dodge Trucks - Projector Style 2013-14

Not sure.. I haven't gotten my truck yet (still being built). I will probably hold off installing HIDs on day one although they will be here by then. (I went with the Enlight 55W 2016 specific kit)

60 bucks from brightsource may not be a bad choice to eliminate warranty risks.. don't drill the stock one, just use the pre-drilled ones from them... sucks that they can't be ordered separately from dodge.. no part number on them.

Edit: Direct link to the 2016 kit page.. for some reason they don't have it on their website..
See less See more
There shouldnt be any changes between 2015 and 2016
they both use the same 9012 bulbs.
Actually somwhere along the way the 2016s started using bi-halogens projectors, with 9005/9005 pairs. While the 2015 projectors were HIR2/9005 sets. (HIR2=9012)

Caught me by surprise, too.
Hey Craig, I ordered a HID kit from Retro Store.com The tech. said they have a kit for the 2016 rebel which fools the computer and it powers the lowbeams. My kit is 4300k beam. Call them they are very helpful
Actually somwhere along the way the 2016s started using bi-halogens projectors, with 9005/9005 pairs. While the 2015 projectors were HIR2/9005 sets. (HIR2=9012)

Caught me by surprise, too.
if so they downgraded the bulbs. thats crazy? no idea why asides from saving a few bucks per set of bulbs.
if so they downgraded the bulbs. thats crazy? no idea why asides from saving a few bucks per set of bulbs.
Yeah.. 9012 -> 9005 is a downgrade, less lumen output from the standard halogen bulbs.. that being said, you can easily fit a 9012 into a 9005 housing buy just filing the tabs on the bulb a bit.. but I am just opting for the 55W HID kit... 4300lm per bulb will be nice.
There are options like this. 4800 lumen per bulb. Should fit the high beams but not sure about the low beams because of the space behind the bulb. They do have the braided heat sinks, and I like that idea better than the idea of fans. If the sinks are adequate, that is. Adding tiny fans to the backs of lightbulbs means more moving parts to fail.

These are what I plan to put in mine once the weather warms up. This may not be the exact one I buy, but it's representative of the latest gen of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Car-Rover-Headlight-Conversion-Halogen/dp/B019GWODK0
There are options like this. 4800 lumen per bulb. Should fit the high beams but not sure about the low beams because of the space behind the bulb. They do have the braided heat sinks, and I like that idea better than the idea of fans. If the sinks are adequate, that is. Adding tiny fans to the backs of lightbulbs means more moving parts to fail.

These are what I plan to put in mine once the weather warms up. This may not be the exact one I buy, but it's representative of the latest gen of these.

Amazon.com: Car Rover 40W 9,600LM 6,000K Super Slim All-in-One CREE LED Headlight Conversion Kit (from HID or Halogen) - H1 - 2 Year Warranty: Automotive
I love LED headlights, but we need a way to dissipate the heat. Our housings were not made for these types of bulbs and I am certain that if you stuffed those in the housing AND closed the dust cover up.. you would start melting things. :)

Fog lights would be okay since the bulb mounts in and seals up that way without the dust covering...

quite a few cars seal up the headlights that way as well.. my magnum and avenger were like that.. but the charger has dust covers as does the ram..

HIDs are a good choice here since they still produce crazy LM output.. but the bulbs don't get hot enough to melt the housing..

If you get these for your high beams, check to make sure the braided heatsink doesn't get crazy hot.. you won't run the high beams as much as the lows.. so should be less of an issue..

Even 1200 LM led bulbs would be brighter than stock highs... those don't require heatsinks. I picked up some 1200LM reverse lights.. seeing if they are good enough for me to not want to install a couple of bumper mounted 3x3 bars.. :)
See less See more
As discussed previously in other threads:

LEDs typically dissipate only 10% of consumed power as heat. Halogens are typically around 95-96%.

The halogens used are 35W halogens. They dissipate roughly 33W as heat. Their heatsinks are the glass envelopes and the bulb base. 33W is about 114 BTUs per hour of waste heat.

These LEDS I showed are 40W. They dissipate about 4W as heat, through the braid heat sinks. 4W is about 14 BTUs per hour of waste heat.

Thus the LEDs throw off about 1/8th of the total waste heat of the OEM halogens.
As discussed previously in other threads:

LEDs typically dissipate only 10% of consumed power as heat. Halogens are typically around 95-96%.

The halogens used are 35W halogens. They dissipate roughly 33W as heat. Their heatsinks are the glass envelopes and the bulb base. 33W is about 114 BTUs per hour of waste heat.

These LEDS I showed are 40W. They dissipate about 4W as heat, through the braid heat sinks. 4W is about 14 BTUs per hour of waste heat.

Thus the LEDs throw off about 1/8th of the total waste heat of the OEM halogens.
Big heat sink and sometimes fans..... I was just asking how warm they get and if you enclose them in a headlight housing it may cause grief. LEDs don't like getting hot and it typically shortens their lifespan.. there are specific instructions with those LED kits to make sure you fan out the heatsink braid.. and saw in the 'manual' for a set of Cree led bulbs that you can not use the dust cover as they cannot be cooled sufficiently and bulb life will be impacted.

But hey, I'm not arguing at all, just sharing what I had read and an opinion.. I would do LED over HID any day of the week as long as I knew they would not crap out due to heat buildup.
Sorry, didn't note any question marks in your first response.

A lot of guys have already started using the 2500/2800 lumen braid-sinked units. And they're dumping about half the heat these would. Plus a lot of guys have jumped to 35W and/or 50+W HIDs using the existing projectors. These headlight units seem to be holding up fine with much higher-heat units. This forum - different threads - include posts from guys that have done both without problems. They even posted pics.

You're correct, the headlight housings weren't made for this type of bulb. They were made for older technology bulbs that generate far higher waste heat. They have vents on the back of the housing that let air circulate out as they get warm, and that also help reduce condensation.

The real concern for some of us is that if these bulbs don't generate enough heat, they may not keep ice from forming on the headlights like hotter bulbs do in cold weather driving. That's turned out to be a problem with some LED systems.
See less See more
Just finished the install of 6000k HID lights to get the same light look of the LED Fogs and Lightbar.
Didn't like the yellowness of the stock headlights...didn't match well.

Love the new look. Tucked the 20" lightbar behind the lower grill. Lose a touch of light, but like the
lower profile look of it not being out there in your face, and less attention.

See less See more
Reactions: 1
I received my dust covers today. (no truck yet)

I don't really want to drill the stock headlight dust covers in case I need to send them for warranty..

Here are some pics.. I am hoping they work, they said that they should be fine since the headlights haven't changed that much.. at least the dust covers and the headlight shape hasn't changed.. will see I guess. They will thankfully take them back if they are not going to work..

Anyone have pictures of the stock dust covers?

See less See more
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.