Ram Rebel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
looks really nice. is the weight of the rim and tire equivalent to the factory stock wheel? Did you add modifications to your suspension? From my experience the increase in unsprung weight will eventually impact the ball bearings if they are not modified to hold the heavier set up.

I have first hand experience with this as i did the same with my ford f150 and i was driving down a highway and the ball bearing snapped. luckily i was driving slow but please be safe and make sure you have modified the suspension correctly to take on the added weight.

·
Registered
261 Posts
looks really nice. is the weight of the rim and tire equivalent to the factory stock wheel? Did you add modifications to your suspension? From my experience the increase in unsprung weight will eventually impact the ball bearings if they are not modified to hold the heavier set up.

I have first hand experience with this as i did the same with my ford f150 and i was driving down a highway and the ball bearing snapped. luckily i was driving slow but please be safe and make sure you have modified the suspension correctly to take on the added weight.
you mean ball joint?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I did the roomraiders swee spot. Drilled a few holes in some plastic tubes for the link measurements. It's not fully level side to side. However I bought adjustable links and then I'll know there exactly right. I then will do an alignment. Yes this rims are vey small to be 35 lol. I was too excited about the tires I couldn't think clearly

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I never thought of this and what steps should I take to make sure everything will stay together? The dealer said everything will be fine with these tires

·
Registered
126 Posts
Rebell - Unfortunately, I am not technical enough to advise. However, I would certainly go to tech's that specialize specifically in modifying suspensions for trucks. Dealership techs gave me the similar response to the new set of wheels "if it fits then you have no issues." I was foolish enough to follow along but the unsprung weight took its toll on the ball joint. I was stuck in VA for 3 days for the repair. I then took the truck to a specialized shop and got the setup done correctly. I felt an immediate difference in ride quality and steering response after replacing certain factory components. It was done in 2008 so I do not recall what parts were replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So is your speedo out at all? I just got my rebel yesterday. I put 20 inch fuel beast rims on with 275/65R 20 Toyo open country AT2's. I put my radar in today and noticed my speedo is out 5km/hr. I know my radar works cause it is bang on it my 2015 GC SRT.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Actual diameter of the Toyo 285/70r17 calculates at 32.7". 275/65r20 diameter calculates to 34.1. That's a gain of 4%.

A 4% gain in tire diameter means that when your speedometer reads 100mph, you're actually doing 104. At 50mph on the meter, you're running 52.

If you're 5mph off at regular driving speeds, there is an error already in your speedometer (or somewhere) because the tire size change alone doesn't account for that. A 5mph difference at 40mph, for example, would be 12.5% difference. To get that, you'd have to be running a 36.8" (37") tire.

It's pretty normal for speedometers to be inaccurate, though. I once had reason to look up the accuracy of the stock speedometer on my Jeep. It was rated by the maker at -5/+8mph nominal error at 60mph. The auto industry generally accepts 10% as a perfectly acceptable.

Of course, you can't have any such thing as a perfectly accurate speedometer without using doppler radar. Even if you get it accurate, things change as you drive. Tire temp shifts a bit, causing outer diameter changes. This is based on your driving speed, road temp, air temp, and aggressiveness of your driving. Tread wear causes it to shift more slowly, but much farther over the long haul. A 1/4" of tread wear equates to about 1.5% error. And you certainly can't use GPS devices for calculation - consumer GPS is only accurate to about 65 feet. Plus GPS devices don't calculate distance accurately when there are elevation changes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you still have the stock wheels and tires? I'm looking for a set to powder coat black but don't want my truck to be down a few days as I need it daily...................

·
Registered
159 Posts
So is your speedo out at all? I just got my rebel yesterday. I put 20 inch fuel beast rims on with 275/65R 20 Toyo open country AT2's. I put my radar in today and noticed my speedo is out 5km/hr. I know my radar works cause it is bang on it my 2015 GC SRT.
Pics, please!! Of the Rebel, that is... not the GC.

·
Registered
680 Posts
did you bring your rebel into a suspension garage for a checkup? Would like to know if any changes needs to be made or if you can leave the Rebel as is.

·
Registered
35 Posts

Any issues with this rubbing on a stock set up or did you have to do the suspension links as well?

I'm looking at a set of LT 295/60 R/20 Which is about the same outside diameter just a bit wider , any pics ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts