Ram Rebel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. Time and time again people ask about 35" wheels and rubbing.

I want to know if you are running 35" BFG All Terrain TA KO2 on 17" rims with 1mm offset AND if you are having any rubbing or ball joint issues?? And I would of course love to see pix of the awesome trucks that do ;)

(I know that often rubbing depends on the brand of rubber when you get that choose, hence the question)

Appreciate your feedback!!
Dawn

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
560 Posts
Can't help with any specifics with the 35's and rubbing as I don't have 35's but I can tell you that anytime you start adding rotational mass (more wheel weight with bigger tires) it does created more wear and tear on drive train and suspension components. I had 35's on my 2014 Ram Express though and put around 35k miles on that set up and didn't notice anything out of the normal with the ball joints prematurely failing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am running KO2's 35" on 20x10 Fuel Mavericks with -24 offset. I have lift links in place but still had rubbing on the inner trim so I zapped it back tonight and no rubbing at all now. Just installed today, so take it for what its worth at this point.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am running 35/12.50/17 with no mods and I have no rubbing at all. I initially made my own links to level but I didn't like that ride as much. I put the original links back in and I have no rubbing whatsoever. These are with the link mod installed

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you give me information on this link mod? I'd really appreciate it. I would like my truck level. Should I install a leveling kit before doing link mod? Also does it matter if it's a 4wd or not.

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am running KO2's 35" on 20x10 Fuel Mavericks with -24 offset. I have lift links in place but still had rubbing on the inner trim so I zapped it back tonight and no rubbing at all now. Just installed today, so take it for what its worth at this point.
When you say lift links do you mean link mod? Trying to lift my truck with out spending 2300 on a lift kit or doing a body lift. I'm also wanting to level the truck before lifting. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was informed to try go to the dealer and give them these set of instructions:

1- Access airride module with witech
2- Write down values for all 4 corners
3- Add 2 in (50.8 mm) to front value and 1.6 in (40.64 mm) to rear

They had never done it before, but came to the conclusion that it was very simple to adjust airride via the computer without having to use aftermarket links.

That being said, I just ordered Fuel Sledge's 20x9 +1 offset on 35x12.5 BFGoodrich KO2s. I need to get them on and drive to dealer so they can level out the truck. Is anyone running a similar wheel/tire package without and suspension mods? If so, is it rubbing?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2 Posts

They had never done it before, but came to the conclusion that it was very simple to adjust airride via the computer without having to use aftermarket links.

That being said, I just ordered Fuel Sledge's 20x9 +1 offset on 35x12.5 BFGoodrich KO2s. I need to get them on and drive to dealer so they can level out the truck. Is anyone running a similar wheel/tire package without and suspension mods? If so, is it rubbing?

Thanks!!
Did you already get this done at the dealer? I am very interested in this method of leveling/lifting this truck.

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
Did you already get this done at the dealer? I am very interested in this method of leveling/lifting this truck.

Thanks
I went in and they played around with the settings and said it could definitely be done. But they advised to come back once I had the new wheels so they could do the alignment at the same time. They are on back order (4-6 weeks) and I put in the order yesterday...so technically I have not done it yet bit they assured that it could be done.

I found the info on a post on one of the Facebook groups. They had it done at a dealer and it worked out great for them. Those measurements might be a little to high as I just want to level the truck; not really looking for a lift but they will tweak it once I get to that point. Hoping to have it done 1st week of August.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thanks!!

I suspect a great many people are going to be interested in this information.

Reactions: MIARebel

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to put my thoughts down on this software vs hardware changes for leveling. I think changing the software measurements is better than the links I believe it will change the quality of ride due to the added inflation of the shocks.

First let me say that despite what you have read from all the RAM forums that you cannot run 35/12.50/17 on a bone stock rebel is completely incorrect. I am running them completely stock with no rubbing anywhere. I have a steep driveway and have tried to get them to rub and have not been successful.

Second I will add that I have made my own links using the grainger parts method and using the measurements that every considers the sweetspot(3.75 rear and 4.25 front). Although this truly leveled the truck and looks the best the ride is about 80% as good as the stock ride. Even driving with this mod in AREO is not as good as stock but closer to stock.

Thirdly I recently watched a video where a rebel owner added the 2 inch spacers that come from a normal level kit to the rebel and it went well and does the same thing. I think this maybe the way to go and have the same ride as stock. obviously the rebel is designed to ride in a tolerance zone with the air shocks so they are not to inflated or deflated thus why any mods that change that will result is less ride quality.

Lastly lets talk alignment after the mod. my camber was in spec before and after the links so i am not sure i would worry about it as much as alot do.

I do have the 4 links if someone wants to take them from me at cost plus shipping. I think I paid about 80 for all the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
660 Posts
I want to put my thoughts down on this software vs hardware changes for leveling. I think changing the software measurements is better than the links I believe it will change the quality of ride due to the added inflation of the shocks.

First let me say that despite what you have read from all the RAM forums that you cannot run 35/12.50/17 on a bone stock rebel is completely incorrect. I am running them completely stock with no rubbing anywhere. I have a steep driveway and have tried to get them to rub and have not been successful.

Second I will add that I have made my own links using the grainger parts method and using the measurements that every considers the sweetspot(3.75 rear and 4.25 front). Although this truly leveled the truck and looks the best the ride is about 80% as good as the stock ride. Even driving with this mod in AREO is not as good as stock but closer to stock.

Thirdly I recently watched a video where a rebel owner added the 2 inch spacers that come from a normal level kit to the rebel and it went well and does the same thing. I think this maybe the way to go and have the same ride as stock. obviously the rebel is designed to ride in a tolerance zone with the air shocks so they are not to inflated or deflated thus why any mods that change that will result is less ride quality.

Lastly lets talk alignment after the mod. my camber was in spec before and after the links so i am not sure i would worry about it as much as alot do.

I do have the 4 links if someone wants to take them from me at cost plus shipping. I think I paid about 80 for all the parts.
I've read reports from guys on the various Rebel forums where they have personally switched to 35x12.5 tires on stock Rebels and have had rubbing issues, including pictures. So there is some difference either in the tires or in the trucks. Possibly a difference in the exact air ride calibration, the tire brand and exact size, or even tire inflation.

I tried a set of 35x12.5s on mine, swapped with a friend for testing purposes. His truck was a lifted Sport, mine is stock Rebel. He hadn't put on his summer tires yet, so we put them on mine to see. The rims were 17x8's with +6mm offset, the tires were Duratracs. The change in offset is equivalent to adding a 1" spacer. I got rubbing at the back near full lock on level ground.

But a set of 315x70r17s is almost exactly the same except .5" shorter and would completely eliminate the rubbing That's what I'll be putting on my truck. Saves mucking around with the suspension, which is already plenty high for what I need.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I will qualify that my 35/12.50/17 measure 34" and not 35. I agree that from truck to truck there are some variances in manufacturing and how the suspension performs. I also have a 2016 LL eco diesel with the air suspension and it is difference in that it's normal height is what the rebel folks call areo and I believe areo on a non rebel air system is between areo and enter/exit on a rebel. I have been tempted to put the links and rebel tires and wheels on the LL but have not. I believe with all that I have looked into with leveling this thing that the best path would be adding the spacers at the top if the shocks and leaving the rear alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts

They had never done it before, but came to the conclusion that it was very simple to adjust airride via the computer without having to use the links!
So I tried this with my local dealer last week, and they did make an attempt but said they were not able to do it / it is not accessible.

Anyone have any success? Not sure if I should try a different dealer or give alternative instructions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So I tried this with my local dealer last week, and they did make an attempt but said they were not able to do it / it is not accessible.

Anyone have any success? Not sure if I should try a different dealer or give alternative instructions?
I showed my local dealership's "suspension expert" those software change instructions, and he said he's never done it this way but understands the idea and would be willing to give it a try. Unfortunately, they want me to sign a piece of paper saying they'll be altering factory specs and cannot be liable for any damages or future warranty work relating to the change which I can understand.

I am now debating whether to wait to get my lift links and throw them on and try the 35x12.5x20's again or try the software thing and see if I can save myself $300. I know I can make my own for less but I want something that's plug-n-play ready. Mentally I am kicking myself for not going with 305/55/20's I originally planned on using.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've read reports from guys on the various Rebel forums where they have personally switched to 35x12.5 tires on stock Rebels and have had rubbing issues, including pictures. So there is some difference either in the tires or in the trucks. Possibly a difference in the exact air ride calibration, the tire brand and exact size, or even tire inflation.

I tried a set of 35x12.5s on mine, swapped with a friend for testing purposes. His truck was a lifted Sport, mine is stock Rebel. He hadn't put on his summer tires yet, so we put them on mine to see. The rims were 17x8's with +6mm offset, the tires were Duratracs. The change in offset is equivalent to adding a 1" spacer. I got rubbing at the back near full lock on level ground.

But a set of 315x70r17s is almost exactly the same except .5" shorter and would completely eliminate the rubbing That's what I'll be putting on my truck. Saves mucking around with the suspension, which is already plenty high for what I need.
35" duratracs will not fit on a stock rebel, even with the mod links because they have more tread than any other tire. To use duratrac, you need use 305/70/17 or get the BDS 4" lift.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts