Real World Towing Capacity of Rebel - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-28-2016, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Real World Towing Capacity of Rebel

I did a quick search but did not find anything, so sorry if this has already been discussed.

From what I've read, it seems like the Rebel does not tow as well as the other RAM 1500 trims. Based on real world usage, what have you guys towed, and how has the towing been?

I just purchased a Rebel and will be looking into toyhaulers shortly. I'll be towing from a 3 hour drive up to a 12 hour drive one way.

I'm also wondering if a 5th wheeler would work on the shorter bed of this truck. I've heard they handle the sway much better than a bumper pull.
post #2 of 17 Old 06-29-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
I've heard of people on this forum towing upwards of 5000lb for a good range of time. I'm sure a few of them could chime in here. I think @TooByFoor didn't have too good of an experience though
post #3 of 17 Old 06-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
If you're towing more than 5,000 lbs you really ought to have a weight distribution hitch of some sort. And a good wdh should also help with sway control.

Ram doesn't recommend 5th wheel trailering on the 1500s. Mostly because of bed load limits / GVWR, I think.

Yeah, @Twobyfoor has had good and bad. He says he pulled a 5400lb camper with the Rebel without problems. Then later he towed it with stuff loaded in it and had sway problems. My guess is that he probably needed to push a little more weight forward in the stuff he loaded into the camper, get just a little more weight on the front end.

https://www.ramrebelforum.com/forum/51329-post15.html
https://www.ramrebelforum.com/forum/r...ng-sucked.html

There's also a lot of info on towing in the other Rebel forum. A lot of guys having good experiences in this thread, for example.
What are you towing? | Ram Rebel Forum

post #4 of 17 Old 06-29-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies, and I'll check out the links! I am definitely getting a WDH for the trailer. The RAM website says I can tow up to 9950 lbs on this vehicle, but I find it a bit hard to believe.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-29-2016, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
The load in the camper is not the issue for me. Same 5400lb camper, same WDH, same family, same load, same trips that didn't have these problems in my 1500 Sport Crew before the Rebel. Plus, most weight in the camper is eaten/drank before the trip home, which was no different either time.

I can't say it's a general Rebel problem, but can say it's a problem with my Rebel. And it seems to be more of a payload problem, as the extra weight (of the family) in the cab is what made things a whole lot worse. We weigh 540lbs as a family. Subtract 150lbs for the driver, add 650 for the tongue, I'm at ~1000 lbs payload. So, even though I'm close to the max I should be fine as I was in the other truck.

The air suspension has never complained, either. I set the WDH in Tire Jack mode, and it'll still raise it up when I take off. I even hook up in Exit/Entry, and then raise it up to Normal with no problems. And, I lowered it into Aero (which puts more work on the WDH), which didn't make a difference, either.

Regardless, I'm back at the dealer tomorrow to discuss this. I've complained to them a few times about how it handles unloaded (I get sway-ish type feelings a lot on the highway just driving to/from work, and it won't hold straight very well) and have been told something different each time: normal, get used to the electronic steering, bigger tires (which aren't bigger), etc.

We'll see... if it's "normal" again, I may be shopping for a new truck.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-02-2016, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tow my 16.5 ft. Lund with no problems at all. Not nearly as heavy. Might be helpful info for anyone who reads this thread. I have a 22ft. Robalo boat that I have yet to tow. She sits in NC, and I'm in PA. Pull through lots of inclines and declines as you would guess. Kind of interested to see how she pulls the heavy boat. Comes to 6k lbs. I'll post once I do it. The better rear axle ratio on the rebel, and the 8 spd. tranny should mean good pulling...mine has anti sway control lever as well. My last 1500 did the job fine with the bigger boat, and it was 6 spd. tranny. That was loaded with 4 passengers and all tons of luggage. I'm anxious to see now that I've read Too's post.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-02-2016, 06:02 PM

I got my truck back from the dealer on Friday, and posted this thread:

Alignment while running...

I do think this will finally fix my problems, because the whole truck just feels more secure now. I'm not gonna try it out with the camper until I get back from the road trip, though.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-05-2016, 10:21 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
They say you can tow up to 9950 lbs and i believe those numbers. Someone managed to tow 8500-9000 lbs but they did use a weight distribution hitch.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-05-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatRam View Post
They say you can tow up to 9950 lbs and i believe those numbers. Someone managed to tow 8500-9000 lbs but they did use a weight distribution hitch.
I think the only way you can (safely and legally) tow 9950lbs is if you weight 150lbs or less, and have absolutely nothing else in the truck. And yes, using WDH.
post #10 of 17 Old 07-05-2016, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
This is how Ram currently shows it on their web site under towing recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	2207
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	8810  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page