Air Suspension Headaches... - Page 12 - Ram Rebel Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 117 Old 10-14-2018, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this is a really old thread, but I just discovered it and lifted my '16 Rebel. It looks and rides awesome, and I really appreciate all the helpful information here. However, I can't spend the $200 for built links, and I think the tubing I used is too soft to be a long term addition. What is the plastic tubing you used, and has it held up over the last couple of years? Thanks!
post #112 of 117 Old 02-07-2019, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bringing up a dead thread to help folks like me who just stumbled upon this a little while ago. I just made my adjustable links last night. I ordered the M6 rod and metric nuts from Grainger. Shipping cost more than these parts did. I got the 8mm rod ends from Amazon for a great price. $11.99 for 5 of them. For the 10mm ends, I wanted to try something different. I had a **** of a time removing the link from the sensor and was worried about breaking it off. So I found some quick release ends that have a lever that you use to remove them. Seems pretty slick. I plan on throwing these on after work and taking some measurements. Fronts are measured our center to center at 4 1/8" and rears at 3 3/4". Ill update on ride and all of that tonight.

Edit: My post count is too low. Once I get a few more posts, I will reply withand pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	15321   Click image for larger version

Name:	8mm.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	363.1 KB
ID:	15323   Click image for larger version

Name:	10mm.PNG
Views:	56
Size:	735.6 KB
ID:	15325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2071.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	15327  

Last edited by cwirth7; 02-07-2019 at 07:08 AM. Reason: post count is too low
post #113 of 117 Old 03-07-2019, 03:29 AM

Cold weather air ride failure. Hey new to forums. After owning a 6.0l and now a 2016 ram rebel with air ride in Alberta I am sick and tired of truck manufacturers putting out inferior products and expecting their loyal purchasers to take it in tailgate! (rear/butt). I’ve read all the fixes and complaint threads. I agree with all of them. I’m thinking of taking this to social media. I’m thinking of parking my truck outside of the dealership with a sign that says “air ride does NOT work in Canada/cold climate” give any future customers my number to discuss the issues prior to buying an air ride Ram. Might not do anything but’ll probably make me feel better about myself. Anyone interested? #ramairridefail ?!!!

post #114 of 117 Old 03-07-2019, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipsh View Post
Cold weather air ride failure. Hey new to forums. After owning a 6.0l and now a 2016 ram rebel with air ride in Alberta I am sick and tired of truck manufacturers putting out inferior products and expecting their loyal purchasers to take it in tailgate! (rear/butt). Iíve read all the fixes and complaint threads. I agree with all of them. Iím thinking of taking this to social media. Iím thinking of parking my truck outside of the dealership with a sign that says ďair ride does NOT work in Canada/cold climateĒ give any future customers my number to discuss the issues prior to buying an air ride Ram. Might not do anything butíll probably make me feel better about myself. Anyone interested? #RAMAIRRIDEFAIL ?!!!
I fully support this. I can take a pic of my truck on its bumpstops right now with a sign saying #RAMAIRRIDEFAIL . Make sure you post this idea to this forum too!

https://www.ramrebelforum.com/forum/...on-frozen.html
post #115 of 117 Old 04-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Edmontonian here with a 2014 Limited. Air ride started giving all the usual issues in cold weather (down the bumps, wont adjust due to payload even when empty, etc) shortly after I bought it used. I performed all kinds of troubleshooting and determined that:

a) the system does not appear to leak (with a caveat that it does not appear to leak via piping/springs/compressor - more on that later)

b) the system is described as being a 'closed-loop', but it is most definitely not. If it loses (or thinks it loses) pressure, it will pull in air. When it gets (or thinks it gets) too much air, it will blow down.

c) the system continuously tries to level itself, even when off, but will stop if your battery voltage drops

d) the system sensors are extremely sensitive (the rear brackets are poorly supported and the slightest bend will throw off your leveling) DO NOT TOUCH/BEND/STRAIGHTEN them if you dont have problems.

e) most of the system- save the air tanks is rubber/plastic. The exception is the solenoid block valves (which controls where air pressure goes/leaves)

The slightest amount of moisture will freeze the solenoid block valves, leading to leakage, bleed down, etc. It will also prevent the system from properly filling springs and results in the system's belief that the spring pressure is full and therefore your payload is too high (despite the fact you're not carrying anything).

I found to fix this, as others have alluded to, is to put some air line antifreeze in. They sell gallon jugs at Canadian tire specifically for air systems (big rig trucks). Eventually the antifreeze wanes and you need to top it up again.

The trick is in how you do this. Once the system is bled down, it goes into limp mode and you need a special diagnostics tool to reset it (I bought a foxwell nt301 one from amazon). I bought an air conditioning recharge valve kit from Canadian tire (the truck's air system is recharged using the same quick connect system as R-134 a/c) and modified it so that i could connect my air compressor to it. To insert the antifreeze, I bleed the system down, connect my a/c valve kit, inject a cup or so of antifreeze using a syringe, and then pump the system back up to 120psi of air. Fixes everything for the majority of the winter.
post #116 of 117 Old 06-05-2019, 02:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone modded their links and actually broken the position sensor it connects to? I bought some links from a guy online and they worked for a couple months then out of nowhere both my front position sensors we're broken. Happened twice before I went back to stock..
post #117 of 117 Old 06-06-2019, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnc852 View Post
Edmontonian here with a 2014 Limited. Air ride started giving all the usual issues in cold weather (down the bumps, wont adjust due to payload even when empty, etc) shortly after I bought it used. I performed all kinds of troubleshooting and determined that:

a) the system does not appear to leak (with a caveat that it does not appear to leak via piping/springs/compressor - more on that later)

b) the system is described as being a 'closed-loop', but it is most definitely not. If it loses (or thinks it loses) pressure, it will pull in air. When it gets (or thinks it gets) too much air, it will blow down.

c) the system continuously tries to level itself, even when off, but will stop if your battery voltage drops

d) the system sensors are extremely sensitive (the rear brackets are poorly supported and the slightest bend will throw off your leveling) DO NOT TOUCH/BEND/STRAIGHTEN them if you dont have problems.

e) most of the system- save the air tanks is rubber/plastic. The exception is the solenoid block valves (which controls where air pressure goes/leaves)

The slightest amount of moisture will freeze the solenoid block valves, leading to leakage, bleed down, etc. It will also prevent the system from properly filling springs and results in the system's belief that the spring pressure is full and therefore your payload is too high (despite the fact you're not carrying anything).

I found to fix this, as others have alluded to, is to put some air line antifreeze in. They sell gallon jugs at Canadian tire specifically for air systems (big rig trucks). Eventually the antifreeze wanes and you need to top it up again.

The trick is in how you do this. Once the system is bled down, it goes into limp mode and you need a special diagnostics tool to reset it (I bought a foxwell nt301 one from amazon). I bought an air conditioning recharge valve kit from Canadian tire (the truck's air system is recharged using the same quick connect system as R-134 a/c) and modified it so that i could connect my air compressor to it. To insert the antifreeze, I bleed the system down, connect my a/c valve kit, inject a cup or so of antifreeze using a syringe, and then pump the system back up to 120psi of air. Fixes everything for the majority of the winter.
Congratulations, you are the first person to come up with a reasonable solution for Ram air ride owners facing this problem. I will pass this info along to the other forums I am a part of.

The sad and realistic truth is still that nobody should have to come up with DIY fixes for expensive trucks, no matter how ingenious they might be.

Cheers.

2019 Granite Rebel owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page