Snow Tires - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-27-2018, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Snow Tires

Has anyone installed winter tires on their Rebel? If so, what brand name & size. Not sure how good the oem tires are in snow.
post #2 of 9 Old 03-02-2018, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Winter tires are AWESOME! I sell tires for a living and they are one of those things where once you have a vehicle with winter tires, you'll want all your vehicles to have them. Obviously better snow and ice performance but even on cold pavement, they will out perform an all season tire - even an all season that is severe snow flake rated.

i haven't made the plunge yet on my Rebel but I will be buying some before winter 2019.

Ram Rebel Forum Moderator
Please feel free to message me with any questions, comments and concerns.

2015 Ram Rebel Gray/Black Crew Cab Short Bed 5.7 HEMI 4x4 8spd
post #3 of 9 Old 03-02-2018, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
It really depends on the type of snow you get as to whether the stock tires are good enough. In "dry" snow, just about any all-season tire will get you through. But in wet snow not so much. Having said that, keep in mind that the "worst" snow tires are still better than the best all-season tires in winter conditions. Where I live, we have a lot of wet snow and slushy conditions, which can challenge even the best snow tire. Night time freezing and daytime thawing. This freezing and thawing seems to occur at the morning and afternoon commute, when most people are driving. I made the mistake of not switching over to snow tires for my Rebel, and I'm regretting that decision. I've owned other 4x4 vehicles in the past, and didn't have nearly the problem I'm having with my Rebel. I'll definitely be taking my own advice and buying a set of good studless tires for next year.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-03-2018, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Get them. The rebel tires are hands down the worst tire I have ever used in the winter, period.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-05-2018, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitajr View Post
Get them. The rebel tires are hands down the worst tire I have ever used in the winter, period.
Maybe not THAT bad, haha, but you will be using 4x4 more often than not with the stock tires in winter.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #6 of 9 Old 03-05-2018, 02:16 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
LOL...no, they're not the worst I've ever driven on. Try driving a Subaru WRX with stock summer tires and you'll agree. Or any car with summer tires for that matter.

You could always get your stock tires siped. Still not as good as snow tires but a lot of guys around here say it's worth doing if you want to run the same tires year-round.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-08-2018, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_mike View Post
LOL...no, they're not the worst I've ever driven on. Try driving a Subaru WRX with stock summer tires and you'll agree. Or any car with summer tires for that matter.

You could always get your stock tires siped. Still not as good as snow tires but a lot of guys around here say it's worth doing if you want to run the same tires year-round.
Well I've never tried to drive in the winter with a summer tire, so It's still accurate. I gave them to my dad to use because his stock tires on his 2012 ram were getting pretty worn out, and he didn't even have the rebel tires on for a week in the winter before putting his aged all seasons back on.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-09-2018, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Quinn View Post
Has anyone installed winter tires on their Rebel? If so, what brand name & size. Not sure how good the oem tires are in snow.
Try Goodyear Duratracs had them on a bunch of differerent vehicles including a RAM 1500 they are rated for severe snow and are a great off road tire
post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2018, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live in Quebec and we have no choice but to install winter tires from Dec 15 to March 15. I bought them from the dealer when I bought the truck. Make sure that tires you buy are properly rated for your truck. Rebels cant be reprogrammed for pressure like the standard trucks, according to a couple of dealers. I got the Toyo winters but in an LT version. Great performance. only issue is that the side steps get covered in slush. Will be removing them from now on during winter time

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page