3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #131 of 231 Old 10-09-2018, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
I'll shake the hand of any person that is willing to throw a $40 fix on a $60k+ truck and can sleep at night... I couldn't. Knowing that at any moment that $40 fix might fail and I'd be back to square one. Each to their own... I fought the good fight and went with the trade solution. For those that can't or don't want to trade, maybe $40 a year is a viable alternative.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #132 of 231 Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I too have gone the route of wrapping the battery blanket around the compressor. I ran the plug inside my cab so when I am driving I plug it in and ran a second cord from the cab to the front so when I park it I just plug the two ends together in the cab and plug it in outside beside my block heater plug. I did this as I did not want to run an extension cord into the cab and slam the door on it and have two cords running to the truck in the extreme cold. I also always put the truck in tire jack mode when I park it.
Between doing both of these practices so far so good! It has been very cold in Winnipeg here as of late and no issues. I know this is not ideal for paying as much as we do for this vehicle but the fact is FCA has shown no willingness to even recognize that this is an issue and I am not prepared to take the cash hit for a trade in right now. So 40 bucks for a battery blanket I will give it a shot. I absolutely love this truck but this was making me hate it! I am slowly coming around again but I don't want to get my hopes up too much it's not minus 40 yet.
post #133 of 231 Old 12-11-2018, 12:09 PM

I would appreciate any documentation or letters as I am experiencing the same thing with my 2017 rebel. you can call me at 6134476414 for contact info.

post #134 of 231 Old 12-11-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderRebel View Post
Ok, I've just finished dealing with the salesman, sales manager and service manager at my dealership and Chris with service at FCA. Big development.

So, the word I got on a permanent fix for our cold weather problem is NO. All parties explained that air ride has turned into a nightmare for FCA and they are prepared to cover the cost of air ride parts and repairs for defective parts as long as you are the original owner, extended warranty not required. That was directly from Chris at FCA (1-800-465-2001).

Secondly, as compensation from my dealership for the inconvenience of having to come in for constant repairs, I was offered 2 options:
1. A heavily discounted 6 year extended warranty, bumper to bumper if I wanted to keep my Rebel.

2. A heavily discounted trade to a loaded 2019 Laramie, when they are available in a month or so.

Now, as we all know, dealerships are hit and miss at the best of times, also I deal with commercial sales, so my incentives might be a bit better than the retail sales floor.

BUT, I wanted to post my experience regardless, so all the members here having cold weather issues can hold their service dept and FCA Service accountable for this DEFECT. I strongly urge all members that have paid for air ride repairs to call the 1-800 number and demand a refund. Make sure your service advisor uses the word DEFECT when logging you complaint when you bring your truck in for service and demand the service manager go to bat for you if a problem getting reimbursed comes up.

Don't take crap from the FCA, they know it's a major defect and they know they have to pay for it.

Good luck and I hope you all have the successful resolution I did.
What did you own before?
post #135 of 231 Old 12-11-2018, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Would it be possible to post some photographs your modification my welder wants to see how you've done this and yes I'm getting the run around from my dealer and I would like to continue using my truck this winter.
Thanks
post #136 of 231 Old 12-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie012 View Post
What did you own before?
I've been a Dodge/Ram guy since high school starting with a 71 Dart Swinger... but lately into trucks. Had a 2002 Dakota SLT 4x4 quad cab that I sold and bought a 2016 Rebel Crew cab and after my 3 year nightmare traded it for the discounted deal on the 2019 Rebel I now have with coil suspension.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #137 of 231 Old 12-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie012 View Post
I would appreciate any documentation or letters as I am experiencing the same thing with my 2017 rebel. you can call me at 6134476414 for contact info.
Unfortunately every 4th Gen Rebel owner is on their own as far as dealing with FCA. We've tried to get things going, but unless there is a class action or recall on the air ride, it's each owners individual battle.

Some have traded out of their trucks, others gone with extended warranty... many others just waiting for a fix that will never come.

I would say trade out of it, get a standard coil suspension truck and consider it an awful learning experience.

I wish I had better news/advice for you.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #138 of 231 Old 12-18-2018, 10:37 AM

I have a 2014 sport, air suspension. 2016 new compressor $1800.00 on warranty. It has frozen up again, that means there is water in system. Mine does not drop. I do not put it up or down in cold weather. I have been researching this for 4 years. The problem is the computer is testing the two lines behind the right tail light for blockage!!! When it test the incoming line it brings in a bit of air to test it. There is water in the air when it is compressed. It also tests the outgoing line by expelling a bit of your nitrogen. This is a closed loop system of nitrogen, however it seems that the system will use air if you lose nitrogen. They should never bring in air, period. Over time the water accumulates and when it gets cold the water freezes, maybe in the compressor, blows a 40 amp fuse or it might burn out the compressor. Dodge probably will not change the software in the computer to stop testing those lines. It is "cash cow". They wanted about $1000.00 to do a whole bunch of test. I told them that I needed the system purged to get the water out. They tested for air leak based on the diognostic, low nitrogen. There was NO air leak. The nitrogen was low because the computer keeps testing the lines for blockage, bringing in air and expelling nitrogen. I picked up the truck. They had filled the nitrogen so I don't think I will have anymore problems as they probably got some of the water out when they did that.
I had a long talk with the tech and my profession is electronic and here is what I suggest. Take the back tail light out, replace the little paper dirt filter with a throwaway dirt/water filter $5.00, I installed 1/8 hose fittings, have Dodge "PURGE the SYSTEM" and that will take out the water. Do this before you get cold weather, once a year. That will cost you a couple hours labor. Preventative Maintenance. You should be good for the winter, you won't have problems in warm weather, at lest I did not have problems.
post #139 of 231 Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the forums. That's some great engineering advice, Norm! Some of our 'out of warranty' members will really appreciate the new approach to the problem. Sadly, I don't think it will last during extreme cold... most of the guys here with big problems are in -30c for a good chunk of winter.

But worth a try!

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #140 of 231 Old 12-19-2018, 06:38 PM

Hi:
If the water is all out. guys will not have any problems with freezing at any temperature. If the front or back drops down slowly, there probably is a slow leak in the connectors, lines or airbags going to the bags that have dropped. There could be ice in the valve body effecting the dropped airbags. What could be very expensive is if the 40 amp fuse is blown, then the compressor is probably stuck. A new fuse should "NOT" be installed until the system is thawed out, otherwise the compressor may burn out trying to start, $1300.00 plus labor ect.. I got over more than a year without problems. This is only the second time in 4 1/2 years since I bought the truck.
1. Thaw out the system first, then replace the fuse if burnt out.
2. Purge the system of the water.
3. If the system then works OK and the truck levels out, your done.
4. If the airbags are still down, then there is a leak that has to be found and repaired.
5. The system will probably have to be recharged, to replace the nitrogen lost through the leak.
Hope that may help minimize the cost for those off warranty.
Norm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page