Average MPG? - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-12-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Question Average MPG?

Wondering what you guys get on average. if im in town im usually around 11-13 MPG. And on the highway about 18 if im lucky. Once i hit interstate anywhere from 15-17.

I have a long road trip coming up 1300 miles one way and trying to get an idea what ill be spending. Have any of you done anything to your trucks that has increased it by much? mines bone stock besides a bed cover.

Thank you!
post #2 of 7 Old 04-12-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Your mileage compared to mine seems a little low, but doesn't sound unreasonable. I've had my Rebel for almost 2 years, and I have no idea what my separate highway or city mileage is. I only know what my combined hwy/city mileage is since that's what my normal driving consists of, about 80% highway, and 20% city. I average just under 16 mpg in the winter, and about 17 mpg in the summer. Most of the difference is because I let my truck warm up for a longer amount of time in the winter, and because of using 4x4 more often. MPG is largely about driving style. I could get better mileage if I drove like a granny (no offense meant to grandma), but I tend to pass people who are driving slower than I want to go instead of just following them. I drive 4 mph over the speed limit, so I'm not a speed demon. I could also get much worse mileage by driving inefficiently. Obviously, you're using more gas every time you mash the go fast pedal. If you want better fuel economy try accelerating more slowly, using the brakes less and decelerate more slowly when safe to do so. Using cruise control also helps most of the time, especially in flatter areas.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-15-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I get something similar, around 13-15 in town depending on how much stop/go traffic I am in. Freeway is typically 16-18 depending on speeds and wind. Only once I was able to get close to 20 and that was when I was forced to go 55 thru Utah because of road construction.

-Kenny

post #4 of 7 Old 04-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
I get about 14.5 mpg but all I do is stop and go traffic and I have multiple stop signs on the way to work. I do zero freeway driving. Im in Florida so its all flat. Truck currently stock...for now

Last edited by dv_damian57; 04-17-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-18-2019, 09:43 PM

My 2018 is a freaking pig. In contrast, I also had a 2016 5.0L F150 that would reliably get 21 on the freeway. The Rebel... 17 if there is no opposing wind. The active cylinder management on the Rebel should make the mileage better, but if it does, I imagine the Rebel would only be 15 without it.

I have the 30 gallon tank and can only go 375 miles on average for a tank. That means my combined MPG is 12.5 and that's DESPICABLE!

I personally can't wait until my lease is done. I only liked this truck until the new car smell disappeared; since then it's like sitting on the toilet constipated and grunting hard all day, every day. March 26, 2020 I will finally **** this thing out of my life.

Your round trip will cost you about $450 without any detours or additional driving, high winds, mountains, etc. Rent a car unless you need the truck. You'll save money and the extra wear and tear on the truck.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-19-2019, 04:05 PM

My 2015 Rebel with 5.7 Hemi is averaging 19 mpg combined. Trip computer hasn't been reset to zero for 2,900 miles and my daily average shows 18.5 to 19.5 driving to work and back, shopping, eating out, even stop -and-go delivering product to vending machines. Truck has 39,000 miles on it, completely stock except for a "bull bar" and the Amp electric running boards. It should be noted that to achieve 19+ mpg I keep one eye on the "current mpg" numbers while driving and have learned how and when to keep light pressure on the gas pedal. Do that and you'll be surprised at how often you can hit short stretches of 30-80 mpg active on the computer. I was actually able to finally hit 20 mpg last week, but it was too tedious to work at, and my OCD was taking over!
post #7 of 7 Old 04-22-2019, 12:53 AM

I do mostly city driving with a lot of stop and go and I average 13.5-14

I did a short stint to a neighboring town (25 miles), mostly back roads and very few stop/go, average 52 mph and I got 24mpg during that trip.

I've done a few trips across town (20 miles) on the expressway, set the cruise on 74mph and got 19mpg.... not terrible mileage

it's really easy to get poor mpg when you press the go button a little harder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page