Full synthetic oil - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 02-12-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Full synthetic oil

The 2019 ram rebel 5.7 comes factory with sae 5w-20. Has anyone noticed a difference in switching to full synthetic oil? Improved mpg? Power? Im hitting 3000mi and have 3 free oil changes coming in the next year. Wondering if it would be worth spending extra $$$ for the upgrade?
post #2 of 11 Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Just switched this change. I'll report on any significant improvements.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #3 of 11 Old 02-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
First off I'll say that I run full synthetic in all of my vehicles. So I'm definitely in the "YES" column when asked whether to switch or not, especially on a new vehicle (under 75k miles). It's not likely that you'll "see" any differences when switching to full synthetic oil, unless you have your used oil analyzed after successive oil changes. It's doubtful you'd notice a difference in fuel economy or increased power (butt dynos aside). It's been proven that synthetic oil is better at protecting engines and keeping them cleaner than conventional oils. And allowing longer oil changer intervals. All good reasons to switch. Conventional oil and synthetic blends work well too. My advice to anyone pondering this question would be to do your own research and decide if you want to make the switch. There is plenty of good information online.

post #4 of 11 Old 02-21-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Mobil 1 Synthetic

I would have to say go with the Mobil 1 Super Synthetic 5 W 20 which is recommended on the Mobil 1 website.I bought my 2017 Rebel used with only 5,410 miles on it and the previous owner changed the oil over to synthetic at 2,900 miles do not know what kind though.I have to tell you that when i took delivery of my truck they said the oil was changed and they only re-set the oil change meter.I looked under the truck and saw a purolator filter and the oil did not look clean to me.I also was offered 2 free oil changes for a year but i would never go back to that dealer unless it was for warranty work.I do find it odd that there is no schedule for oil changes in the manual other then it saying that never go over 10,000 miles before a oil change.I would go between 5,000-7,000 with my 2003 Dodge Dakota that i traded in for my Rebel with 177,000 on it and running strong still.If your going to go Synthetic go with a premium filter like Mobil 1 or a K&N Gold like i just tried with my first oil change on my Rebel.

Good Luck and i hope i gave you some help full information.
post #5 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 01:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramstein View Post
The 2019 ram rebel 5.7 comes factory with sae 5w-20. Has anyone noticed a difference in switching to full synthetic oil? Improved mpg? Power? Im hitting 3000mi and have 3 free oil changes coming in the next year. Wondering if it would be worth spending extra $$$ for the upgrade?

Typically its best practice to wait for break in period to pass before switching to full synthetic, your Service Manager should advise you on this.

Good Luck.
-Kenny
post #6 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
After calling a few service managers. I spoke to one that said the engines are broken in at the factory. Then the oil is changed to 5w-20 synthetic blend. And said I don't need to change it till the indicator says too. Around 6500 miles. I would hope that all service managers are honest, but I'm guessing since making a profit is involved, this might not be the case. Since others told me every 3000k.
post #7 of 11 Old 02-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Garage
I do every 5k, which puts the oil life indicator around 30%, I also add ZMax which is a synthetic additive for both oil and fuel system. I also insist on the Mopar SRT oil filter. So far when I pulled plugs at 23k just to check things out and scope the cylinders I can still see the cross hatch of the cylinder walls and no carbon build up on the piston top. Temps always stay nominal and havent seen oil pressure below 42psi.

-Kenny
post #8 of 11 Old 03-26-2019, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyLives View Post
Typically its best practice to wait for break in period to pass before switching to full synthetic, your Service Manager should advise you on this.

Good Luck.
-Kenny
Break in period???

Maybe back in the 70s when the final machining process was accomplished in the first 500 miles.
post #9 of 11 Old 03-26-2019, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
So after a few miles with full synthetic oil and K&N Gold filter I've noticed a 2-3 mpg improvement over the original factory breakin oil.

Food for thought.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #10 of 11 Old 03-28-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I switched to SYN after my warranty expired and I started doing it myself.

I run it in all my cars and change at 10,000 kms (6000 miles).

I also got 350,000 miles out of my 93 Civic before I sold it.....ran that on Dino oil ...Walmart brand!

So....moral of the story.....change your oil regularly.

As far as better MPG....I dunno. It would be really hard to run an accurate test unless it was in the EXACT conditions...highway, traffic, headwinds, late for work......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page