MPG issues - Ram Rebel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
MPG issues

I so i bought my 2018 rebel in January of this year. I traded in my 2014 ram 1500 for it. I am having some issues with fuel consumption with it. Basically i am averaging 13.mpg all the time with 80% of my drive being hwy. Some things i noticed on my truck is that it dose not have an ECO mode like my 14 did and some older rebels did and also i cant tell if the MDS is coming on like my 14 where i could actually fell it kick in on the hwy. At 66mph i am getting around 14-15mpg on cruise control. On my 14 i was able to average 18 on the hwy with ease at 65-70mph. I recently just hit 9000 miles and i figured it would get better with time but so far it has not.

The truck is a 2wd with the 3.92 rear end. I cant tell what i am doing wrong or is this the standard MPG on these trucks. I had assumed it would be the same as my old truck with 80k miles on it.
post #2 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbrit1 View Post
I so i bought my 2018 rebel in January of this year. I traded in my 2014 ram 1500 for it. I am having some issues with fuel consumption with it. Basically i am averaging 13.mpg all the time with 80% of my drive being hwy. Some things i noticed on my truck is that it dose not have an ECO mode like my 14 did and some older rebels did and also i cant tell if the MDS is coming on like my 14 where i could actually fell it kick in on the hwy. At 66mph i am getting around 14-15mpg on cruise control. On my 14 i was able to average 18 on the hwy with ease at 65-70mph. I recently just hit 9000 miles and i figured it would get better with time but so far it has not.

The truck is a 2wd with the 3.92 rear end. I cant tell what i am doing wrong or is this the standard MPG on these trucks. I had assumed it would be the same as my old truck with 80k miles on it.
There is a way to turn on and off the green eco letters in the radio. It won't turn on and off the MDS, just it popping up on your dash.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave2212 View Post
There is a way to turn on and off the green eco letters in the radio. It won't turn on and off the MDS, just it popping up on your dash.

My truck dosnt have it i believe. I know my old truck had the fuel saver option in the radio but my new one does not have it or atleast in the same spot as my old one with the 8.4 uconnect.

post #4 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

It's my understanding that all later model 4th gen Hemi equipped Ram 1500's have MDS. I asked the dealer if I could order one without and he said it's not available without. If yours isn't coming on I'd take it in and have it looked at. I would love it if mine didn't have MDS. Numerous tests I've done show a difference in fuel economy well below 1 mpg, at least for the commute I have. And that's not worth having to listen to the exhaust when it's in MDS mode. I love the sound of the Hemi, but when MDS is engaged it sounds like total crap to me.

Quote:

You can turn off MDS, along with the green ECO light. I have a ritual every time I shift my truck into D...push the down shift button once, then press the up shift button until the dash display shows 8 as the highest gear it will shift into. This will disable both the ECO light and MDS. The only problem is that you have to do this after shifting into D. So if you stop and shift into P or R, then back into D, you'll need to push the button sequence again to disable MDS. It's such a habit for me now that I try doing that when I drive my other vehicles too.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_mike View Post
It's my understanding that all later model 4th gen Hemi equipped Ram 1500's have MDS. I asked the dealer if I could order one without and he said it's not available without. If yours isn't coming on I'd take it in and have it looked at. I would love it if mine didn't have MDS. Numerous tests I've done show a difference in fuel economy well below 1 mpg, at least for the commute I have. And that's not worth having to listen to the exhaust when it's in MDS mode. I love the sound of the Hemi, but when MDS is engaged it sounds like total crap to me.

You can turn off MDS, along with the green ECO light. I have a ritual every time I shift my truck into D...push the down shift button once, then press the up shift button until the dash display shows 8 as the highest gear it will shift into. This will disable both the ECO light and MDS. The only problem is that you have to do this after shifting into D. So if you stop and shift into P or R, then back into D, you'll need to push the button sequence again to disable MDS. It's such a habit for me now that I try doing that when I drive my other vehicles too.

I have a 90 mile round trip commute every day and i need the MPG increase. What are you averaging with your rebel? I am at a constant 13mpg avg no matter what i do and thats mostly hwy. I am spending about 600 a month on gas and its killing me. I was able to get 17-18 avg on my 14 but this 18 rebel is just killing me. I was wondering if others had the same issue?
post #6 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_mike View Post

Yeah I have the same ritual. It is a pain in the azz......but I think you can turn off the green eco light from popping up on the dash through the uconnect.

post #7 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
I have a 90 mile round trip commute every day and i need the MPG increase. What are you averaging with your rebel? I am at a constant 13mpg avg no matter what i do and thats mostly hwy. I am spending about 600 a month on gas and its killing me. I was able to get 17-18 avg on my 14 but this 18 rebel is just killing me. I was wondering if others had the same issue?
I have tried to back off the throttle, and tried more coasting to raise my MPG. Nothing I have done has made a difference. I am around 12.8 for the average. I'll reset it and let you know in about a month, cause I did the CAI and the exhaust. Not sure if that will help at all, but seems an expensive fix for just a few MPGs more. I drive 5 miles to work so I don't care too much, plus my 06 was averaging about 10mpg. So almost anything is an improvement!

post #8 of 20 Old 11-09-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I have tried to back off the throttle, and tried more coasting to raise my MPG. Nothing I have done has made a difference. I am around 12.8 for the average. I'll reset it and let you know in about a month, cause I did the CAI and the exhaust. Not sure if that will help at all, but seems an expensive fix for just a few MPGs more. I drive 5 miles to work so I don't care too much, plus my 06 was averaging about 10mpg. So almost anything is an improvement!

**** i wonder what makes these trucks thirstier than the regular trucks. I wonder if its mostly in the toyos it comes with compared to the street tires on the regular trucks.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
I'm averaging 16.5 mpg last time I calculated it. The computer says it's over 17, but those are almost always overly optimistic on the actual fuel economy. My driving is mostly highway. I'd guess over 80% highway miles.

This is my first Hemi equipped Ram, so I have nothing really to compare it with for my driving style. My girlfriend has a Rebel too, and her trip computer reads about 1mpg less than what I'm getting. She doesn't hand calculate her fuel economy so I'm not sure what her actual fuel economy is. My last Ram was an ecodiesel that averaged over 25mpg. It was nice getting that kind of fuel economy, but it didn't have the power I wanted.

Last edited by rebel_mike; 11-12-2018 at 11:57 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 11-14-2018, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I came from an ecodiesel too and the towing power was awful. The mpg was great but hated the hesitation the ecodiesel had. I didn’t buy the rebel for good mpg I bought it for its looks powers and comfort. I just finished a long nearly 2000 mile trip towing a 20ft dovetail with a Tahoe loaded up and averaged 9.8mpg. The eco would have averaged around 13mpg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page