LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Wiz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Cold Air Intake comparison

I am strongly considering buying a CAI but am torn between manufacturers and models. I see some guys with K&N (not sure the model), some with S&B (I like the sealed look with clear plexi) and also hear good things about AirRaid.

Anyone have any big opinions on one vs another? MPG gains? HP gains?

Also, for the K&N guys, what model are you running as I see some with different HP specs. Any additional info is greatly appreciated!
post #2 of 29 Old 03-01-2017, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Garage
Myself, as well as many contributors on this forum agree that the only realistic difference you get from an after market intake is sound. Some go as far as to say that there could even be harmful side affects from some models including heat soaking your engine.

To each their own, but the vast majority agree that the stock intake does a pretty good job.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #3 of 29 Old 03-01-2017, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderRebel View Post
Myself, as well as many contributors on this forum agree that the only realistic difference you get from an after market intake is sound. Some go as far as to say that there could even be harmful side affects from some models including heat soaking your engine.

To each their own, but the vast majority agree that the stock intake does a pretty good job.

This is very true. Take some and do a search on this CAI subject, even on the Challenger sites most guys are against using the. Save your money for something else that is a proven upgrade like HID headlight upgrade kit, or Kicker speakers, etc.
Sorry to sound so negative, but I do not like to see someone spend their cash on something that will only make noise. Plus the stock air filter unit is a CAI unit, and the stock air filter will out flow the throttle body.

2016 Rebel 5.7, 4X4, Limited Slip Diff, Tonneau cover, Black tubular side steps, HID head light upgrade, Kicker speakers, Navigation, Rebel dash, Splash shields, Spray in bed liner, Custom hood decal.

post #4 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 07:03 AM

I'm pretty much in the camp with most everyone else. I didn't get any noticeable performance or fuel economy increase. I DO like how it looks, and it does sound a bit better than the stock one. Though, the improved sound is not near as dramatic as the improvement when I installed one on my old 2004 Hemi Sport. That was night and day.

Another benefit is that I'll never have to buy another disposable filter cartridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161210_154921.jpg
Views:	3266
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	11921  
post #5 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Wiz

Garage
Thanks for the replys guys. I like more/better sound, but it would be great to get a little more benefit than just the sound. There seem to be some people that have seen some gains from reading other threads. Could be coincidental, but I will take any MPG/HP benefit I can get - any models of those CAIs that you guys are using that have seen some gains?
post #6 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I notice a slight improvement in get up and go but I dont think its much. I went from a 14 Ram Express package with K&N intake to the Rebel stock and was very disappointed how much slower it felt, blamed the excess weight of the 10 ply tires. Ended up putting the CAI back on it (not expecting any power gains) and noticed better low end and was happy again. Its only a butt test so take it for what its worth

Edit: I notice worse fuel economy with the CAI in the winter cause it struggles to stay warm, but in the summer I was able to get 24mpg on rural routes which was almost a 1.5mpg increase from what I got stock

Last edited by bestbiker; 03-02-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Adding MPG
post #7 of 29 Old 03-02-2017, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Wouldn't one need to "re-map" fuel and intake delivery in order to take full advantage of a CAI (and exhaust for that matter)? That's what I would do on a sport bike. Pardon the newbie here, but isn't that what a "perfomance chip" is for? Or can someone program the stock ECU?
post #8 of 29 Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just some words of wisdom from a long time Dodge RAM 1500 HEMI Gen1 owner: Safe your money on buying a full CAI and instead by a new free flow filter Why number 1 - The original engine had the air box going into the inlet tube and connected to a air baffle box prior to the throttle body. This was to reduce noise so when I added a CAI it probably increased HP simply by emitting all of the air obstructions. I don't see this setup on our Rebel's. It looks more like a CAI setup already from the factory of course with a terrible paper filter to save money. Why number 2 - The sensor in the intake is for temperature and not a mass air flow monitor. The HEMI just picks from the already programmed fuel tables on the PCM. There hasn't been a way to update those that I know of. Why number 3 - The original 5.7L made 345 HP/375 TQ. To get it to today's numbers they had to already look at intake and exhaust upgrades to help achieve those new numbers. Why number 4 - I haven't seen any numbers citing additional HP/TQ numbers on the new HEMI's but of course if they do you have to look at what kind of vehicle it was. I'm sure the added weight and having 33 inch tires on the Rebel diminishes any gains. So change to a CAI if you want more internal/external sound but don't be surprised after spending $300+ the truck doesn't move faster.
Dodgehemi61 likes this.
post #9 of 29 Old 03-03-2017, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I just replaced the oem paper filter with a AEM dry synthetic reuseable filter.

The list of all of my awesome mods: US Army Veteran decal
post #10 of 29 Old 03-09-2017, 11:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Usually against aftermarket intakes on NA engines. However, the VARARAM looks awesome.

https://www.moes-performance.com/Var...vr-hemi-4g.htm

2017 RAM Rebel Mojave Sand -
Flowmaster 40 | Dee-zee Tailgate assist | 22" LED light bar | OPT7 Redline tailgate lights |

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page