Dashcam Installation and Wiring - Ram Rebel Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Dashcam Installation and Wiring

I知 wondering if anyone has wired a dashcam into the Rebel. A coworker had a fender bender yesterday and his biggest regret is not having one. So I知 wanting to put one in my new Rebel. I値l rethink it if it means that I値l have a DC power cable hanging over my dash all the time. I also don稚 to dismantle the dash on a new truck. Kind of invites dash rattles a few years up the road. Any ideas/experience?
post #2 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 11:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Lots of options - doesn't have to sit on dash and rattle - you can even make it a "behind the mirror" cam, wired from the overhead console, and suctioned or glued to the window.

just one example here
hundreds more examples of RAMs with dashcams all over the web
jimbolo likes this.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Im too scared to mess with power...

I just let my power cable hang, has never bothered me to be honest, but I don't like doing any kind of minor let alone major surgery on my $50k truck, makes me a tad nervous, but that's just me. Have had dash cams for probably 4+ years now, as there are way too many idiots on the road. Have used for cops a few times when witness to accident. Good luck man.
jimbolo likes this.

post #4 of 12 Old 01-17-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Wiring doesn't bother me much, but breaking tabs and clips that hold my interior in place kind of does. I'll do some homework. I'll post when I get everything installed.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
there are videos to show how to run wire easily - google is your friend
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2017, 12:05 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
I just pulled my overhead console down and tapped onto the power wire going to the rear window switch to get power for my radar detector. It is switched so I will also attach another wire in the same place for the dash cam when I get one.

2016 Rebel 5.7, 4X4, Limited Slip Diff, Tonneau cover, Black tubular side steps, HID head light upgrade, Kicker speakers, Navigation, Rebel dash, Splash shields, Spray in bed liner, Custom hood decal.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-19-2017, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolo View Post
I知 wondering if anyone has wired a dashcam into the Rebel. A coworker had a fender bender yesterday and his biggest regret is not having one. So I知 wanting to put one in my new Rebel. I値l rethink it if it means that I値l have a DC power cable hanging over my dash all the time. I also don稚 to dismantle the dash on a new truck. Kind of invites dash rattles a few years up the road. Any ideas/experience?

Same happened with me!
post #8 of 12 Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just want to recommend the YI dash cam. I know that's not what you were asking, but I've had a number of dash cams over the years and they've all pretty much sucked. For $50, the YI is a good choice. FIY - Just got my Rebel yesterday, red, all options except the sunroof.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I run a Z3 dashcam. Works great. I have it up behind the mirror on the passenger side. It loops video so unless I need video off of it I don't have to touch it.

I ran an extension (with a switch) from the rear passenger compartment adapter. On the passenger side map pocket I put a (3) accessory adapter. I ran the power wire for the dash cam along the headliner and down the side then under the dash.

If I want it turned off (along with the Garmin GPS and the GoPro) I just reach behind me and flip the switch. Its not a true hard wire...but it works great (for now).

Hope these photos show up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01165.JPG
Views:	792
Size:	875.8 KB
ID:	12954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01170.JPG
Views:	877
Size:	843.7 KB
ID:	12962  
post #10 of 12 Old 08-09-2017, 01:09 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Garage
I installed a blackvue DR650 dual camera with the powermagic pro.. totally clean intall with no wires showing. I didn't think to take pictures but the +12 Constant and +12 ACC were easy to find and tap into with a couple of posi-taps.. ran the line from behind the radio and behind the glove box up the pillar to the camera. the line for the rear camera through the headliner and could tuck it through the b pillar without removing it.. ran all the way to the back and installed the camera there...

there are people hosting pictures now that photobucket is useless?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page