Replacing over head console with homelink console - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-11-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Garage
Replacing over head console with homelink console

Does anyone know where I can get a overhead console with black trim with Homelink? My 2016 Rebel does not have the Homelink option and I would like to add it. All I can find are 2010-2015 units with the beige or silver trim. I do have the power rear window switch and lights in mine, so there is power. Thanks
post #2 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Not sure about replacing the console. If you don't find out how to do it, or you feel it's too much to do, you can always just get a homelink-based universal remote that will work with any garage door, and use that. Basically the same thing as you can purchase in the vehicle, but you'd just clip it on your visor. One such set of products here:

https://www.liftmaster.com/for-homes...emote-controls
post #3 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
John, Thank you for the reply, But I already have a door opener that clips on the visor. I have the the Homelink in the Challenger and Jeep, and just like the feature of it without a remote hanging on the visor. And the wiring part will be a piece of cake, as I am an industrial electrician.

Last edited by Dodgehemi61; 11-12-2016 at 12:57 PM.

post #4 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
DH61 - Not to derail the thread but do you think the wiring harness is already in there for the homelink? My truck came with the manual fold trailer mirrors and they really are too big for my use. I am toying with changing them out with the stock size powerfold mirrors. Thinking/hoping that the harness might be in there already and all I would have to add is the fold button and the mirrors. Wishful thinking perhaps. Anyway I need to find out from somewhere what the deal is, the dealer was not all that helpful.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackrebel View Post
DH61 - Not to derail the thread but do you think the wiring harness is already in there for the homelink? My truck came with the manual fold trailer mirrors and they really are too big for my use. I am toying with changing them out with the stock size powerfold mirrors. Thinking/hoping that the harness might be in there already and all I would have to add is the fold button and the mirrors. Wishful thinking perhaps. Anyway I need to find out from somewhere what the deal is, the dealer was not all that helpful.
Ackrebel, I think I should be good to go as far as wiring goes. I looked at a photo of the wires in the console area that I took when I took it down to run the coax for my Ham Radio antenna today and I see the four connectors I need. The main connector that goes into my compass module has the same three wires that is used to power the compass/homelink module. (Power, Ground and Signal wire to the lin.) I also pulled the console down again, and confirmed the connector, and saw that I can snap the black outer trim off my console, and put it on the new one that is gray when it gets here. Since no one wants to sell a all black one.
I would pull your left door panel and see if there is a connector on it for the mirror switch, and one for the mirror. I pulled my door panels to replace the junk stock speakers with Kickers, and found they came off really easy. Let us know what you find out.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Right now I am still on the fence about the mirrors but will probably pull the door panel at some point just to see if I can make the mirror change. Thanks. Good luck with your install.
post #7 of 11 Old 11-17-2016, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Well Good news. I picked up a new console that was labeled for a 2013-2015 Ram. But it I could only find one with a gray or tan trim, so I put my black trim on it and it works perfect. Now to install the HID next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Installed.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	10673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Display.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	10681  
post #8 of 11 Old 01-15-2018, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgehemi61 View Post
Well Good news. I picked up a new console that was labeled for a 2013-2015 Ram. But it I could only find one with a gray or tan trim, so I put my black trim on it and it works perfect. Now to install the HID next.
Dodgehemi61,

I'm happy to see you got the console to fit and work. I just got a 2018 Rebel and didn't realize that it didn't come with the Homelink and was considering buying one and changing it out. Two questions for you. Was the tan trim easy to switch with the factory black one because all I can seem to find is the tan trim. And did the new console just plug into the factory harness or is custom wiring needed for the Homelink to work?
post #9 of 11 Old 01-29-2018, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I just added to my 2017 rebel. The outer tan trim is very simple to remove. It just simple pops off on three sides and then you simple slide it off then replace in reverse with your own trim. The homelink itself is simply plug and play with no custom wiring needed. You unplug your compass module which uses the same wires and plug as the new homelink module.

2017 Dodge Rebel 4X4 RamBox, AFE cold air, MagnaFlow, Rigid, Bakflip, Reece.
post #10 of 11 Old 06-29-2018, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Do anyone of you guys have a link for purchasing that homelink console?? I really want that option!! Thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page