Ram Rebel Forum banner

32 Gallon tank - Did I only get a 26?

31K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  cuotfs 
#1 ·
I ordered my Rebel with the 32 gallon tank. Ive filled up twice with it on empty and 50 miles left on the range counter. I fit only 27 gallons in it each time. So I'm curious if I they didn't give me the 32. Especially since they forgot my power fold in mirrors. Any thoughts?

#3 ·
I've run mine down to near-empty a couple of times and so far the most I've pumped at once is 23 gal. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the fuel pump is inside the tank, like a lot of other vehicles. It might account for a gallon or three of capacity?

#4 ·
If you got 27 in it you don't have a 26 gallon tank. It shows empty well before it actually is on almost all cars, one reason for this is so you never run the tank so dry that the pump is not submerged. The fuel actually cools and lubricates the fuel pump. So a 32 gallon tank probably only has 29 usable gallons in it, maybe a little more or less depending on how the internal structure is chambered. It all depends on how much it takes to submerge the pump, and if it was designed in such a way to keep from running itself dry.

#6 ·
Thanks for posting this. I thought I was going insane.

I have the same question. I had my gas so low (on purpose) it just said low fuel. No more mileage countdown. I still drove it another 10 miles, and then I was able to put about 27 gallons in it.

I have the 32 gallon tank, but feel like it might onl actually be a 28-30 gallon.

My old 2010 Big Horn had noticeably more range with the same mpg.

#16 ·
Just ordered a 2017 with the 32 gallon tank, have any of you had experience with the "sloshing" issue people complain about with the 32 gallon tank? From what i understand the 32 does not have baffles like the 26 gallon one does. This causes a "thud" of sorts when the fuel hit up against the front of the fuel tank when coming to a stop... Any input would be greatly appreciated.

As far as the discrepancy between the fuel gauge and the actual tank capacity, FCA is aware of the issue and plan to remedy by end of Q1 2017 aka now. STAR Case# S1608000283.

#18 ·
32 Gallon Tank (Really Imperial Gallon tank)

Ok. So I think this is what happened. Dodge advertised a 32 Gallon Tank. What they failed to say is that it is a 32 Imperial Gallon tank which in fact is only a 26 gallon tank. If you were to ask me this is the making of a class action suit as they misrepresented a measurement that is implied. Dodge is trying to tell me that US Pumps pump out imperial gallons which makes no sense, perhaps they went to the same school as Trump

#19 ·
Ok. So I think this is what happened. Dodge advertised a 32 Gallon Tank. What they failed to say is that it is a 32 Imperial Gallon tank which in fact is only a 26 gallon tank. If you were to ask me this is the making of a class action suit as they misrepresented a measurement that is implied. Dodge is trying to tell me that US Pumps pump out imperial gallons which makes no sense, perhaps they went to the same school as Trump
Sorry, the math doesn't add up in your theory. Just the other day I filled up after driving to work on empty for 3 days. I managed to squeeze in 107 liters which 23 imperial gallons or 28 US gallons. Neither of those numbers makes any sense considering I drove with the needle beyond the red zone and the fuel reading gave up calculating remaining driving distance after the first day on empty.

Also the bigger nail in the coffin that your theory is now resting peacefully in, is the Star bulletin stating there would be a fix for the issue. I also think it might be a cause for the vast majority with mileage issues. If the truck thinks it has an incorrect amount of fuel, then how can it calculate proper distance and fuel consumption?

#21 ·
I went on a road trip over the weekend and ran it down to where i showed 27 mile range left. We can estimate that is worth about 2 gallons, roughly and on the safe side. When i filled up, it took 28.5 gal. So that seems reasonable to me since running it down dry would get me roughly 30-30.5 gal with a little reserve. Maybe i got lucky with mine reading correctly? Surely that can't be the case.

i haven't paid enough attention to this, but what kind of range are you guys seeing when you fill up your tank? I'll see what mine shows the next time i fill up, but i wonder if the range if off with tanks still registering as a 26 gal tank?

#23 ·
i haven't paid enough attention to this, but what kind of range are you guys seeing when you fill up your tank? I'll see what mine shows the next time i fill up, but i wonder if the range if off with tanks still registering as a 26 gal tank?
I'm only seeing 660'ish in km, which is roughly 410 miles. Driving on empty for literally DAYS is what I would consider inaccurate, while still only being able to get no more than 110 liters into the tank (approximately 29 gallons). I really don't care having the extra 3 gallons in the tank at all times, but in this level of vehicle for the money we paid, it should be far more accurate.

What gets me fired up is the lack of communication and information to dealers in these matters. My dealers shop foreman had never heard of it, and went on to say it was impossible... I have little faith in the dealer/FCA service combo and will continue to depend on fellow owners such as our community to stay current with news and fixes.

#22 ·
Range is about 470-520 miles. The DTE is pretty accurate, it's the fuel gauge that is way off. With a DTE of 20 miles mine takes about 28 gallons, pretty much every time. I still have 4 gallons remaining, but it is unnerving driving around with the needle past E.

#27 ·
So, I took the truck in for this issue. They replaced the fuel pump/sending assembly. They stated that there may have been something wrong with the original one. I asked, is there a different part for the 32 gallon tank vs. the 26 gallon tank, and they said 'no'.

So, I picked up the truck and the gas light was on and I had a range of 16 miles. I went and filled it up and it only took 27 gallons?

Questions: is 5 gallons the correct reserve?
Why is the range so far off? if the computer says it's averaging 16 MPG, should it be calculating the range by number of gallons in the tank times MPG?

Thanks,
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.