2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-23-2015, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Garage
Recall R59 - Rear Axle Shaft

Hey, everyone. I was on the Ram Owner's site yesterday and found a recall on my Rebel.

The R59 recall is for the rear axles, 1500s born between June and Sep of 2015. Apparently a supplier didn't heat treat some of them and they're prone to failure. It can cause excess wear on the axle, and damage to both the axle and the housing. Or worse.

I called the local dealership this morning and made an appointment for tomorrow. They said it would take about half an hour to inspect the axle shaft to determine if it needs replacement. Replacement could take another half hour. If the damage is bad enough, they might have to replace the entire axle, which is an hour or more. They have the replacement axle shaft in stock, but not the entire axle assembly.

Better to find out now and get it fixed sooner than wait for paper info to arrive. Earlier fix means reduced chance for larger repair and delays.

All of you should check the site to see if your truck is affected. You can also call your dealer and give them the last 8 digits of your VIN, and they can tell you if your truck's affected by the recall.

Chrysler Recall #
R59

NHTSA Recall #
15V-661

Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk
THE LEFT AXLE SHAFT MAY NOT HAVE BEEN HEAT TREATED PROPERLY AT THE AXLE SHAFT BEARING JOURNAL. AN IMPROPERLY HEAT TREATED AXLE SHAFT MAY CAUSE THE BEARING TO CREATE A GRINDING NOISE DURING OPERATION, ILLUMINATE THE ANTI LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) WARNING LAMP AND EVENTUALLY AN AXLE SHAFT FRACTURE. IF THE AXLE SHAFT FRACTURES, WHEEL SEPARATION FROM THE VEHICLE MAY OCCUR. THIS COULD CAUSE A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING, INJURE PEDESTRIANS AND/OR DAMAGE PROPERTY.

Repair Description
THE LEFT REAR AXLE SHAFT MUST BE INSPECTED ON ALL INVOLVED VEHICLES. VEHICLES FOUND WITH A SUSPECT AXLE SHAFT, BUT NOT A FAILED AXLE SHAFT, WILL HAVE THE AXLE SHAFT REPLACED.IF THE REAR AXLE INSPECTION DETERMINES THAT THE AXLE SHAFT HAS FAILED, THE REAR AXLE ASSEMBLY MUST BE REPLACED.

https://www.chrysler.com/universal/w...ce/pdf/R59.pdf
post #2 of 26 Old 11-23-2015, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Well that's awesome. This will be the 4th time my truck has been in for recall work since I've owned it.

Ram Rebel Forum Moderator
Please feel free to message me with any questions, comments and concerns.

2015 Ram Rebel Gray/Black Crew Cab Short Bed 5.7 HEMI 4x4 8spd
post #3 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmeavtitn View Post
Well that's awesome. This will be the 4th time my truck has been in for recall work since I've owned it.
What recalls have you had done? I've only heard of the navigation one until now.

post #4 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
My truck goes in tomorrow morning. I went back and forth buying another Chrysler product exactly because of all the recalls. My wife's 13 grand Cherokee had 100,000,000,000 recalls. Maybe more. It gets annoying
post #5 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Update: Called by the dealer this morning. Service says that they don't have all the parts on hand and that they'll reschedule. Guy said that the recall requires that some small parts be replaced, too, and they're back ordered on some of them.

I'm not worried about recalls. Almost every vehicle I've owned in the past 2 decades has been subject to a few recalls. And they weren't all Dodge/Ram. I'm more worried about not having a recall on parts that they know could fail and are a safety hazard.
RebelDE47 likes this.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnj View Post
Update: Called by the dealer this morning. Service says that they don't have all the parts on hand and that they'll reschedule. Guy said that the recall requires that some small parts be replaced, too, and they're back ordered on some of them.

I'm not worried about recalls. Almost every vehicle I've owned in the past 2 decades has been subject to a few recalls. And they weren't all Dodge/Ram. I'm more worried about not having a recall on parts that they know could fail and are a safety hazard.
A recall or 2 is one thing, but my last Chrysler products were in need of s recall every month. Plus you get a letter saying there's a recall but the parts won't be avail for months and months
post #7 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I called the dealership and they told me that they had to get the parts in as well, might take a week or so. No biggie, it is what it is, what can you do. I'm glad that they know about it and are going to take care of it instead of not letting us know about it.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeareeff View Post
What recalls have you had done? I've only heard of the navigation one until now.
I guess only 2 recalls but my truck has been in for a lot of warranty work...

Update to the uconnect so it can't be "hacked" and the air bag recall. My new truck also had to be repainted because there was metal exposed on the door jams, paint runs, and the paint line wasn't clean on the bottom of my truck (my truck is bi-tone). My truck was also leaking through the 3rd brake light and the headliner was getting wet.

It was a total of 3 weeks that it was in the shop and I've only had it for 4 months.

Oh...and they also had to replace the center console because the lid on my original one was hard to open.

Ram Rebel Forum Moderator
Please feel free to message me with any questions, comments and concerns.

2015 Ram Rebel Gray/Black Crew Cab Short Bed 5.7 HEMI 4x4 8spd
post #9 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Glad, too. I can understand them sometimes having trouble getting parts when a recall impacts some 66,000 trucks. They produced ~225,000 trucks in 2013 and ~270,000 in 2014. 66,000 is 1/4 of a year's production. So their supplier for the parts has to come up with an additional 25% of a year's production of each needed part, all while continuing to supply enough for the truck production lines. It would be a bad business decision to wait until you have all the parts for that many vehicles on hand before you announce the recall.

And my dealer's service guy thought he had all the parts on hand. He said that some small parts are required even for the inspection. They replace those if they open it up for inspection, even if they don't have to replace the axle shaft. Guessing that a seal is the most likely part he could be talking about, but I didn't ask for more details.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Knew recalls were going to happen but not a laundry list of issues like yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page