Can't Fill the Gas Tank - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-05-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can't Fill the Gas Tank

I did a search on this issue and saw that JRob had the same problem.

I can't put gas in the tank. The nozzle clicks off after a quart or so. Tried 3 gas stations thinking the pumps were just running too fast. According to JRob, took them 2 weeks to fix the problem. This is the first real problem I've had with the truck, though. Hoping they can re-flash the module as well to get it to recognize the 32 gallon tank.
post #2 of 6 Old 03-06-2018, 12:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbolo View Post
Hoping they can re-flash the module as well to get it to recognize the 32 gallon tank.
Good luck... I've had two birthdays since they started promising a fix for the 32 gallon owners.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
So they fixed the problem with not being able to put gas in the truck. Apparently there is an actuated vent in the filler tube that opens/shuts automatically and will shut in the case of a roll-over accident to prevent fuel from siphoning out onto the accident scene. Although I was not in an accident, the vent was shut and was not opening, causing the back pressure that fooled the pump into thinking my tank was full.

But heres the BIG thing (maybe), I told the dealership about the incorrect gas gauge reading, and showed them the FCA notice (STAR Report), the guy said that was wrong and that the sending unit in the tank was at fault. They changed that out, and for the first time since I’ve owned the truck the Distance to Empty reading shows 490 miles! I’ve been driving for about 50 miles now, and the needle has barely left full since I filled up yesterday afternoon. It used to start moving down about a mile away from the gas station.

So in a week or so I’ll post back and report whether fill-up from an empty gauge reading allows 27 gallons or better.

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Interesting. My dealerships shop foreman is like a nipple on an elbow, annoying and useless. His response was that there was no possible way for there to be an error since the fuel system was mechanical, if the tank was full, the gauge had to be right. Did I mention he's a moron?

I've been waiting for an official fix from FCA, so I can print it out and shove it down his throat as I ask him to explain the fuel system to me again.

I'm with DamageInc, I'd rather buy my truck for peanuts without warranty and just fix the bloody thing myself.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #5 of 6 Old 03-07-2018, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Oh, for Canadian owners, to verify you have this issue, you should have a fuel range of approximately 780km. I've seen that, once.

I usually get around 560km and by the time I drive 3 blocks home from the gas station it's down to 490km.

I've never been able to put more than 90L of fuel in the tank from empty. My record for number of days driving on empty.... 4.

2019 Granite Rebel owner
post #6 of 6 Old 03-01-2019, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can see how frustrating that is. Same here,when my fuel reading is close to empty, i get about 27 gallons of fuel then slowly add a little until it is full.
Here is another thing about filling up, over the last summer we towed our Travel Trailer to California from Nevada and after getting the campsite set up & the Travel Trailer dropped, the next day we went into town and i had 1/4 tank of gas so pulled into a gas station, ( Shell ) when the tank was full, , I started to remove the gas nozzel, & IT WOULD NOT COME OUT !!!!! I TRIED FOR 15 MINUTES. TO GET IT TO RELEASE FROM THE FILLER NECK. I went inside to the cashier /clerk, told him that i CANNOT get your fuel nozzel to release from my fuel filler neck, he said " i will follow you out to the gas island. On the way to the gas pump, the cashier/ clerk asked me if my truck was A RAM, I said yes it is why ? He said for some reason NEW RAM TRUCKS have this same problem, but all other trucks ( FORD, GMC ETC. ) DO NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM, just the NEW RAM TRUCKS. I let this guy try to get it out just in case something broke, or damaged, that way, it becomes HIS & THE STATION OWNERS PROBLEM. If it was going to damage something, i wanted to make sure all fell onto them. Its their gas pump nozzel causing this & i did NOT want to be the one to break it. The entire incedent was recorded on the security cameras that showed the cashier/ clerk doing all of attempts at safely removing that nozzel.
So be VERY AWARE of this problem in California. The cashier/ clerk spent a full 45 minutes trying to remove the nozzel & i stood right there just in case he started to get frustrated and broke something, that way, they become 100 % responsible.
Bert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page