Air ride lift linkage mod done, 35's installed - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-18-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Air ride lift linkage mod done, 35's installed

So I bought the ball sockets and threaded rod and did the air ride linkage mod. I don't have any error message and hardly notice a difference in ride quality in normal mode. I put on 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country C/T tires, they are considered a winter tire but many run them all year which is what I intend to do. I did get a wheel alignment done, which was necessary because it was off after doing the mod.

No clearance issues, but I was also hoping to put on 1.5 inch wheel spacers and it doesn't look like there will be enough clearance to do it. This will have to do until I can get the 4" BDS lift done. I do notice at highway speed my rpm doesn't come down under 2K now, wonder if I need to get the shift points reprogrammed. If anyone has any input on this it would be appreciated.

post #2 of 12 Old 01-19-2017, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
i am running 35x12.6x17s w/2inch spacers on my rebel with NO real modification. keep in mind i did have to zip tie part of the inner fender back at the bottom and trim a peice of plastic...though nothing major overall. plus i liked the look of the standard height with the 35s...your truck looks amazing though...i swear the rebels were fca's best call on a re-design.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-19-2017, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelX16 View Post
i am running 35x12.6x17s w/2inch spacers on my rebel with NO real modification. keep in mind i did have to zip tie part of the inner fender back at the bottom and trim a peice of plastic...though nothing major overall. plus i liked the look of the standard height with the 35s...your truck looks amazing though...i swear the rebels were fca's best call on a re-design.
Which 2" spacers did you use? I'm thinking of using them with the stock 33's for a wider stance. Do you have a pic so I could see what a difference the 2" makes. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post #4 of 12 Old 01-19-2017, 07:33 PM

Has anyone tried the Revel Performance 2" leveling links? They look well made and all I'm looking to do is level the front.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRag View Post
Which 2" spacers did you use? I'm thinking of using them with the stock 33's for a wider stance. Do you have a pic so I could see what a difference the 2" makes. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
there you go! i had them initially on with my 33s and they did look good. this is them with the 35s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rebel.PNG
Views:	430
Size:	531.1 KB
ID:	11266  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-20-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:
there you go! i had them initially on with my 33s and they did look good. this is them with the 35s
Thanks You
post #7 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Looks great. Odd, with my 35's on when I turn the wheel all the way right, my front driver's side wheel looks like it would rub on the outer rear part of the fender if I put spacers on. I was convinced they wouldn't work, but you have no rubbing so not sure what to do now lol.
post #8 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man View Post
So I bought the ball sockets and threaded rod and did the air ride linkage mod. I don't have any error message and hardly notice a difference in ride quality in normal mode. I put on 35x12.5x17 Toyo Open Country C/T tires, they are considered a winter tire but many run them all year which is what I intend to do. I did get a wheel alignment done, which was necessary because it was off after doing the mod.

No clearance issues, but I was also hoping to put on 1.5 inch wheel spacers and it doesn't look like there will be enough clearance to do it. This will have to do until I can get the 4" BDS lift done. I do notice at highway speed my rpm doesn't come down under 2K now, wonder if I need to get the shift points reprogrammed. If anyone has any input on this it would be appreciated.

Just an update on this. I did end up ordering a Hypertech speedometer recalibrator, part number 752501 Error - Hypertech. I did the reprogram and entered the new tire size, took it out for a quick test and it did help bring my rpm down at 60 mph on highway. It is more like it used to be before putting on the 35 inch tires.
post #9 of 12 Old 02-26-2017, 08:54 PM

Hey T Man, can you let us know how changing to 35's affects your fuel economy? I'm sure you are aware but you can check the recalibration of the speed O using the Navigation GPS Trip Computer if you have NAV installed. Just to make sure it is an accurate recalibration.
post #10 of 12 Old 02-27-2017, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Man View Post
Just an update on this. I did end up ordering a Hypertech speedometer recalibrator, part number 752501. I did the reprogram and entered the new tire size, took it out for a quick test and it did help bring my rpm down at 60 mph on highway. It is more like it used to be before putting on the 35 inch tires.
Recalibrating the speedometer doesn't change your rpm. It just corrects the speedometer calculation. What was happening is that the computer was calculating your speed based on wheel rpm's. But with larger tires, you're actually covering more ground with each rotation. So when your computer thought you still had 33" tires and you were cruising at a calculated speed of 60mph, you were actually running about 64mph. Now your computer is calculating your speed based on larger tires, so you're driving slower, less rpm, to actually run at 60mph.

Your rpm should actually be lower than before with the new 35's. If your engine was running at 2000 rpm at 60 before, now your engine should be running at 1885rpm. (94% of whatever engine speed you were running before.) Assuming same final gear, of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page