What type of tint comes from factory? - Ram Rebel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
What type of tint comes from factory?

Does anyone know if the factory tint is tested to reduce uv rays and heat? I am looking to install the clear 3m crystalline tint on top of the factory tint. No person at the dealership knows if it is tinted or color glass. Does anyone have any idea?
post #2 of 8 Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasani1121 View Post
Does anyone know if the factory tint is tested to reduce uv rays and heat? I am looking to install the clear 3m crystalline tint on top of the factory tint. No person at the dealership knows if it is tinted or color glass. Does anyone have any idea?

Unless Ram decided to use something completely different than every other major OEM, the factory tint is not what you usually consider window tint. It is really a window "stain" of sorts. It does generally block UV up to a certain point however it has ZERO heat rejection capabilities. If you want to block out the heat, you can go with a 70% or 90% 3M Crystalline film that'll deal with the heat issue.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM

I just checked a 2017 Ram Rebel window tint with a meter and it came out to a 23% tint on the rear from the factory.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2017, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Funny, I did the same thing this morning! I had my fronts done with 35 which is my states limit. Rears on mine measured 25 on one and 24 on the passenger side.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2017, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Thank guys but is it a tint film that reflects up rays? A stained glass as fusion mentioned will not do much vs a physical tint. My goal is to protect that interior of the car from UV rays and reduce heat. I'm planning on installing the 90% crystalline tint from 3m on the factory tint.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have wondered about the tint on my '16 Rebel. I swear after road trips (especially outside of Iowa motorcycle weather) I end up with a tan or even sun burn. I used to drive my old pick up all over and never felt like I had been in the sun all day. Now with the Rebel, I do. I have been wondering if there was any UV protection at all.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-26-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasani1121 View Post
Thank guys but is it a tint film that reflects up rays? A stained glass as fusion mentioned will not do much vs a physical tint. My goal is to protect that interior of the car from UV rays and reduce heat. I'm planning on installing the 90% crystalline tint from 3m on the factory tint.
Just to be clear, what comes from the factory is a "stain" it is not a film. I have yet to see any OEM use film. With that being said, stain doesn't do anything for you if your goal is to reduce heat. Its only purpose is to provide "privacy." You can add a crystalline 70% or 90% clear film that kills the heat but doesn't darken the windows any further.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furtrader View Post
I have wondered about the tint on my '16 Rebel. I swear after road trips (especially outside of Iowa motorcycle weather) I end up with a tan or even sun burn. I used to drive my old pick up all over and never felt like I had been in the sun all day. Now with the Rebel, I do. I have been wondering if there was any UV protection at all.
They claim to have UV protection... My own personal experience is similar to yours, real window tint film is the real remedy for that concern.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page