• 2 Post By Dodgehemi61
  • 2 Post By Dodgehemi61

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Antenna

I've seen a lot about putting a stubby or bullet antenna on in place of the horrid looking silver antenna. Does anyone know if the rebel is capable of having a power/retractable antenna installed? Thanks for any info.
post #2 of 8 Old 03-15-2017, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
I'm not a fan of the retractable ones because they always seem to get bent and don't retract or the retracting motor gets damaged leaving you with either a full antenna or no antenna at all. I'm not a fan of the stubby as I feel like they look out of place so what I did was cut down my factory antenna, reattached the ball on the top, than painted it flat black. I love it now. It looks so much better. It's kind of the best of both worlds. Still functional but since it's black, it doesn't stand out like a soar thumb. Check out my thread -

Who's tired of the stock am/fm antenna?
copnla likes this.

Ram Rebel Forum Moderator
Please feel free to message me with any questions, comments and concerns.

2015Ram Rebel Gray/Black Crew Cab Short Bed 5.7 HEMI 4x4 8spd
2007 Nitro Bass Boat (my favorite ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 8 Old 03-15-2017, 08:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Garage
I just put a long piece of black heat shrink tubbing on mine. This way I still get good reception. and it looks good.
johnj and Anywaytothetop like this.

2016 Rebel 5.7, 4X4, Limited Slip Diff, Tonneau cover, Black tubular side steps, HID head light upgrade, Kicker speakers, Navigation, Rebel dash, Splash shields, Spray in bed liner, Custom hood decal.

post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgehemi61 View Post
I just put a long piece of black heat shrink tubbing on mine. This way I still get good reception. and it looks good.
What diameter tubing did you use? Sounds like a good idea!

I like the height of my stock antenna since I park in parking garages and use it as a height gauge.

Last edited by Anywaytothetop; 03-16-2017 at 11:09 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anywaytothetop View Post
What diameter tubing did you use? Sounds like a good idea!

I like the height of my stock antenna since I park in parking garages and use it as a height gauge.
I used 1/4" tubing over it. Plus it matches the ham radio antenna on the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Black Radio Antenna.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	12009  

2016 Rebel 5.7, 4X4, Limited Slip Diff, Tonneau cover, Black tubular side steps, HID head light upgrade, Kicker speakers, Navigation, Rebel dash, Splash shields, Spray in bed liner, Custom hood decal.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-16-2017, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Heat shrink: the electronic technician's equivalent of duct tape. It's handy for a LOT of things.
post #7 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I heard that if you just cut the length of the antenna by half, it won't change the reception much. Something with the frequency and length or something like that...I don't know, radio waves are way over my head.

Ram Rebel Forum Moderator
Please feel free to message me with any questions, comments and concerns.

2015Ram Rebel Gray/Black Crew Cab Short Bed 5.7 HEMI 4x4 8spd
2007 Nitro Bass Boat (my favorite ride
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #8 of 8 Old 03-19-2017, 11:47 PM

Garage
[QUOTE=lmeavtitn;105681]I heard that if you just cut the length of the antenna by half, it won't change the reception much. Something with the frequency and length or something like that...I don't know, radio waves are way over my head.[/QUOTE
Antenna lengths work best if they are cut (tuned) for the frequency they are being used for. I spend a lot of time tuning my ham radio antennas when I install them on the tower, or truck. Granted when receiving only, this length is not as critical as a transmitting antenna.
The truck antenna is based on a 1/4 wave length and tuned for reception in the middle of the FM broadcast band 468/90mhz = 5.2 /2=2.6 feet or 31.2 inches long. So if you cut it in half it will be tuned for 45 mhz.
Your antenna shortened will still work, but the reception will be good for local stations, and marginal with distance stations. If you want to try it out before you cut antenna, the threads in the base are 1/4-20 so screw in a 12 inch long piece of threaded metal rod, and see how you like it. Good Luck
johnj and Anywaytothetop like this.

Last edited by Dodgehemi61; 03-19-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ram Rebel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page